Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Do I make you uncomfortable?

Since beginning this journey and having discussions regarding my newly found point of view on consumerism, I've learned that people are uncomfortable with things they don't understand. We're constantly inundated with images and ideas of how our life should be and what we should strive for. Even our children are bombarded with massive advertising campaigns geared towards raising mini consumers. So, when someone decides enough is enough, it's almost strange and awkward because it goes against the norm. I've even found people explaining why they've purchased things, like they're trying to convince themselves that their purchases were necessary. If "things" make you truly happy then you should not feel guilt or remorse for owning them, they should bring you joy...and yes, I agree that some purchases do bring great joy, especially those that align us with how our life should truly be, or the life we secretly long for. What I long for is something that truly can't be bought because I've come to the realization that experiences mean so much more to me then things. But, when we're tethered to our things are we really happy or are we truly uncomfortable with our place in the world? Maybe my choices make people uncomfortable because they themselves long to become untethered and unchained, no longer owned by their things.

No comments:

Post a Comment